Automotive repair is a technical and competitive field—you need to make sure your auto repair shop is well managed in order to succeed. With the right planning, execution and tools, you can stay ahead of the game.
These are some of the common features we find in our most successful auto repair shops—implement them, and keep your auto repair business organized, while also attracting new customers:
1. Streamline your operations
Investing in an auto repair shop management software can prove to be a game changer for your business. It will free you up from boring, repetitive tasks and let you focus on what really matters.
When you’re answering the same question over and over again on the phone, or you’re taking half a day to manage your inventory, you’re losing time unnecessarily—and this is just the tip of the iceberg. You need to schedule customer appointments, assign repair jobs to your mechanics, hand over vehicles once the repair work is completed, and so on. It can all become chaotic and overwhelming.
Make technology your best friend—use an auto repair shop management software such as AutoLeap, to automate and simplify routine, time-consuming tasks such as:
- Repair estimates
Not only will you save an immense amount of time, but you will also be able to sell more and make your technicians more efficient.
2. Improve technician productivity
The success of your automotive shop largely depends on service quality, which is directly linked to the competency and efficiency of your mechanics.
Even the most diligent technicians and service advisors can find it difficult to stay productive. Here are some low-cost, yet powerful and high-impact changes you can make to boost mechanic output:
- Track job performance and profitability at a mechanic level so everyone knows how they’re performing.
- Maintain a comfortable ambient temperature in your service bays—depending on the weather, bring in heaters or fans as necessary.
- Fixing cars is hard manual work, and some days, fans just aren’t enough. You could offer your mechanics sports drinks or cold bottles of water—prevent dehydration and boost their morale at the same time!
3. Prioritize the customer experience
Whether it’s scheduling an appointment or a vehicle drop off, make the auto repair journey for your customers easy and convenient.
In all probability, they won’t consider bringing their vehicle to you a second time…unless you make things quick and easy for them.
Win repeat business by keeping the customer experience in mind every step of the way. The following are a few tips that you can easily implement:
- Train your service advisors (and other customer facing staff) to communicate in a knowledgeable and professional, yet friendly manner.
- Offer pick-and-drop services. This could be as simple as calling a taxi or booking a ride.
- Send personalized appointment reminders to customers via text and/or email.
- Maintain a comfortable environment in the waiting area with water, coffee and snacks!
4. Reduce your technician turnover
High turnover rates for technicians is quite common in the auto repair industry. Having to hire new and inexperienced technicians who need guidance and coaching is an unnecessary distraction, and will compromise on your service quality and reliability.
Reduce your attrition by treating your technicians well and giving them good perks & benefits. This will also put your customers at ease when they see familiar faces each time they come into your auto repair shop, and understandably so.
5. Grow your business
While you work on all the important stuff to keep your garage’s engine humming smoothly (no pun intended!), you also need to keep up the momentum behind its growth. Follow these basic steps to attract new customers, and have your existing ones coming back through your doors:
- Build a clean and well designed website, and work on its local Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to get ranked higher on search engines when prospective customers search for auto repair services in your local area.
- Encourage customers to leave reviews on Google and Yelp—this will enhance your online brand identity and show prospective customers that you are an auto repair business that can be relied on.
- Partner with local businesses (for e.g. a nearby car-wash or cafe) for cross-referrals.
- Establish a strong social media footprint to engage and interact with customers—Facebook, Instagram and Twitter are the most popular ones. Request your customers to follow you and use these powerful platforms to announce any promos and specials that you are offering.
Shop Management Software
AutoLeap is a powerful all-in-one auto repair shop software that helps to keep complete track of your business – from scheduling appointments to managing technicians and generating invoices.