“How do I make my auto mechanic shop the best in town?”
If you’re serious about taking your auto repair business to the next level, you’ve come to the right place. The following is a list of strategies that we’ve come across in our best-performing auto repair shops:
1. Adopt technology
Why spend hours doing repetitive tasks when software can do them for you?
The leading mechanical workshops realize how valuable time is, so they use technology to reduce human involvement wherever they can. Here are a few ideas you can implement to make running your repair shop a breeze:
- Appointment reminders: Customer no-shows can dent an auto repair business’s profitability. We get it—customers get busy and forget about appointments. You can send customers reminders prior to appointments with the help of auto repair software. This way you won’t have to worry about hitting your car count for the day since customers can inform you of any changes ahead of time.
- Invoicing: Auto repair invoice software helps you save time, which you can instead invest in growing your business. It just takes one click to convert estimates to invoices, which you can then send digitally to your customers. With such modern tools at your fingertips, you can say goodbye to double-entry bookkeeping and minimize human error.
2. Conduct digital vehicle inspections
Here’s a question for you:
Would you prefer using one of those mobile phones from the early 2000s over a modern smartphone?
Most people would shudder at the thought of making a dozen key presses to send a single text message. So, why not upgrade your shop’s technology to something more efficient as well? With the help of Digital Vehicle Inspections (DVI), you can carry out quick and accurate vehicle assessments.
DVI lets you harness the power of multimedia—send photos and videos of damaged components to customers to justify the repair jobs that you recommend. Doing so also helps build customer trust since they know you’re not trying to fleece them.
3. Market your business
Targeting the right customer base with effective marketing campaigns can be a game-changer for your shop.
What comes to your mind when you hear the word “marketing”?
Many shop owners believe that marketing refers to your external audience. However, this isn’t necessarily the case. Maintaining a loyal customer base is significantly easier and more cost-effective than attracting new customers, so you don’t have to shell out a fortune.
How do you market to existing customers?
Marketing to your existing customer base isn’t as tough as most people think. Once you get a client into your shop, the rest of the process becomes a breeze. You can send personalized promotional messages to customers via text and email—this information is collected by marketing software that often comes built-in with auto repair shop software.
Instead of just sending a service reminder, call clients up and ask how they’re doing before talking business. Building a relationship with customers keeps them coming back to your shop.
4. Track performance
What happens when you have a solid plan but no way to track its effectiveness?
Well, the execution may leave much to be desired.
Every successful auto repair shop tracks its key performance indicators (KPIs). The most effective way to track progress is to invest in mechanic shop software that displays the relevant metrics on a dashboard.
By tracking KPIs, you can determine where you’re losing money and work on it to boost profitability. On the flip side of the same coin, you can double down on those services where you have a greater profit margin.
5. Hire the best employees
Everything we’ve discussed so far sounds good on paper. However, you need the right employees to execute these ideas well.
What traits should you look for when hiring?
There are several things to consider when you’re recruiting new staff members. Here are a few employee characteristics that would benefit your auto repair business:
- Desire to learn: What happens when you hire people who want to learn? They grow and take your shop to new heights! Considering how rapidly automotive technology is advancing, it’s important for techs to learn more than just the basic tools to stay competitive with their peers.
- Ability to communicate: From your front desk staff to your auto mechanics, and service advisors, everyone in a repair shop should be able to convey messages effectively. There should be transparency throughout the communication process so that customers feel comfortable leaving their cars with you.
Hiring people who are a good fit reduces the employee turnover rate, which in turn will improve the morale at your auto garage.
Effectively managing your auto repair shop can help you save time and make more money. After all, every successful business strives to deliver a stellar customer experience and attract the most talented employees to further improve operations.
Auto Repair Shop Management Software
AutoLeap is a powerful all-in-one auto repair shop software that helps to keep complete track of your business – from scheduling appointments to managing technicians and generating invoices.